Selwyn School: Independent Non-Sectarian, Experiential

Selwyn School: Independent Non-Sectarian, Experiential

by Steve Gamel

Deborah Hof is a self-professed Californian who isn’t afraid to try something new. That mindset was put to the test in 2016 when she interviewed for the Head of School position at the Selwyn School.

“It’s a funny story because when I got hired, it sort of went like this, ‘Hi, we’re looking for a Head of School that can turn things around, but, as she was warned, there’s a 30 percent chance you’ll succeed and a 70 percent chance you will fail. Basically, we need to move an entire school and grow it,’” Hof said with a laugh as she recalled the interview. “My answer was, ‘I can do
this job, because you could feel the passion in the room. Selwyn was a school that was loved and had a community with can do spirit.’

Hof admits that while she walked into a daunting challenge – the Selwyn School moved from the north side of Denton on March 20, 2017, to a 15,000 square-foot facility off Copper Canyon Road in Argyle over Spring Break – the experience was worth every minute. Oh, and by the way, she and the school defied the odds and succeeded.

Very soon, they’ll add a 5,600 square-foot Reggio-Emilia inspired preschool.

“We may be in a different spot, but we’re still here, and closer to Lake Cities than before” Hof said.

The Selwyn School is a popular option for parents looking for a non-sectarian and balanced educational curriculum for their children.
It is the only independent school north of Dallas, and their enrollment includes kids who live everywhere from Flower Mound to Pilot Point. They are a member of the National Association of Independent Schools.

The biggest difference with the Selwyn School is its commitment to building leaders of tomorrow. They value parental input and focus on quality teacher-to-student relationships that allow for more personal education.

“There is a serious academic situation going on here; we have a 100 percent college acceptance rate. But if you read our mission statement, it doesn’t even mention the college admissions,” Hof said. “We are putting out kids who are going to change the world. They have heart, empathy, good sense. That’s the big picture for me – that these kids leave here and are going to make a difference. They learn what it means to be a member of the world community.”

“If you were to spend a day in this building, I’m confident there wouldn’t be a reason to choose another school,” Hof said. “We just want to let people know we exist, and that there is another option out there.”

Anyone interested in a tour of the campus or learning more can visit or call 940.382.6771.

photography by Guy T Photography

Related Articles

Is Your Home Business Protected? What You Need To Know In The State Of Texas?

by Madison Reid When it comes to home-based businesses in Texas, there are certain considerations. Many people have legal questions

Corinth Police Department Celebrates its 50th Year

by Susan Neuhalfen When the Corinth Police Department was first created in 1966, it wasn’t exactly a police department. It

Lisa’s Resale Gone Upscale: The Smart Way to Shop, The Easy Way to Sell

Lisa’s Resale Gone Upscale has become the “go-to” destination for quality consignment merchandise in all price ranges. You can expect

No comments

Write a comment
No Comments Yet! You can be first to comment this post!

Write a Comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*